thumbnail
arayana
Sun, Jun 9, 2024
Vomiting
Lethargy
Loss of appetite
Toxic ingestion
Difficulty in breathing

My puppy got into some chocolate


Create an account to access Dr. Deliman’s answer to this concern.

The vet's response to this question is only available to members of Dr.Tail Create a new account to access +100K cases in Dr.Tail.

  • 24/7 priority consultations
  • Analysis of the cause of the issue
  • Home treatments and care tips
  • Guidelines for vet visits
or continue with
vet-thumbnail
Dr. Deliman
Dr.Tail Vet

Chocolate ingestion in dogs is indeed a serious concern due to the presence of theobromine, which is toxic to them. Given the symptoms your puppy is experiencing—such as vomiting a white and foamy substance, lethargy, loss of appetite, and difficulty breathing—this situation is quite urgent.

Encouraging your puppy to drink water to stay hydrated is also important, but do not force it if they are unwilling.

Given the severity of the symptoms and the potential for chocolate toxicity, I strongly recommend seeking immediate veterinary care. A veterinarian can provide activated charcoal to limit the absorption of the toxin, administer IV fluids, and offer supportive care to manage the symptoms.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask. Thank you.