thumbnail
Parent397394
Mon, May 27, 2024
Vomiting
Toxic ingestion

toby ate almost a whole bag of dove chocolates and is now throwing up brownish liquid


Create an account to access Dr. Fanconi’s answer to this concern.

The vet's response to this question is only available to members of Dr.Tail Create a new account to access +100K cases in Dr.Tail.

  • 24/7 priority consultations
  • Analysis of the cause of the issue
  • Home treatments and care tips
  • Guidelines for vet visits
or continue with
vet-thumbnail
Dr. Fanconi
Dr.Tail Vet

Toby's symptoms are indicative of chocolate toxicity, which is a serious condition for dogs. Chocolate contains theobromine and caffeine, both of which can be toxic to dogs, especially in large quantities. The vomiting of brownish liquid suggests that Toby is trying to expel the chocolate from his system, which is a natural protective response, but this doesn't mean he is out of danger.

Given the information that Toby has ingested a significant amount of chocolate and is vomiting, it's crucial to act promptly. The first step is to remove any remaining chocolate or other potential toxins from Toby's reach to prevent further ingestion. Ensure that he has access to fresh water, as vomiting can lead to dehydration.

Since Toby is already vomiting, do not try to induce more vomiting at home. Instead, you can offer a small amount of bland food, such as boiled chicken and rice, to help settle his stomach once the vomiting has subsided. However, it's important to monitor his appetite and ensure he does not continue to vomit after eating.

Keep a close eye on Toby for any changes in behavior or worsening of symptoms. If he becomes lethargic, has diarrhea, shows signs of increased thirst and urination, or experiences seizures, these are red flags indicating that the situation is escalating and immediate veterinary care is required.

In addition to monitoring for the above symptoms, also watch for signs of abdominal pain or discomfort, such as whining, restlessness, or a tense belly. If Toby's gums appear pale or if his heart rate seems elevated, these are additional indicators that he needs to be seen by a veterinarian right away.

It's also important to keep Toby calm and quiet to avoid additional stress on his system. A comfortable, quiet resting area can help him recover more peacefully.

Remember, chocolate toxicity can have delayed effects, so even if Toby seems to improve initially, he's not necessarily out of danger. It's essential to continue monitoring him for at least the next 24 to 48 hours for any recurring or new symptoms.

If you have any additional questions, please don't hesitate to come back to us! Thank you.