Not much else, just need a consult
Create an account to access Dr. Mason’s answer to this concern.
The vet's response to this question is only available to members of Dr.Tail Create a new account to access +100K cases in Dr.Tail.
- 24/7 priority consultations
- Analysis of the cause of the issue
- Home treatments and care tips
- Guidelines for vet visits
- Vet experts matched to your needs
Dogs have a keen sense of smell and are naturally curious animals. They may be attracted to the scent of your semen and consider it a novel item to investigate or consume. This behavior, while unusual, is not unheard of in the animal world, where dogs and other animals may ingest a variety of substances out of curiosity or due to an instinctual drive.
From a health standpoint, the ingestion of semen by your dog is unlikely to cause serious illness, provided you are healthy and free from transmissible infections. However, realize that this is a phenomenon that should not be repeated for several reasons. It can lead to an unhealthy interest in human waste products, which could be harmful if your dog ingests something toxic in the future. Please try to discourage your dog from this behavior.
If she exhibits any of the following symptoms, take her to the hospital or let me know.
- Vomiting or diarrhea that persists for more than a day
- Changes in appetite or water consumption
- Lethargy or changes in activity levels
- Any signs of illness or distress
If you have any additional questions, please don’t hesitate to come back to us! Thank you.