The two of them ate roughly 3 cups of sourdough starter together

I don't have any details
What are causes & treatment?



Golden Retriever


Dr. Brown




Respiratory & Nose

Thank you for connecting with us. How is he at the moment? Any clinical signs? It really depends on the amount ingested and how he holds up. This is due to the fact that dogs' sensitivity to ingesting harmful substances seems to be "individual." While some dogs seem to be unaffected by small amounts of dough, others may be poisoned simply by licking. Which dogs will be more sensitive at this time cannot be predicted.

Theoretically, yeast is not only toxic to dogs(releasing alcohol) but also the dough may expand inside the stomach, causing bloat or obstruction. You need to monitor him carefully and head to the ER immediately if anything unusual happens.

If you have any additional questions, please don't hesitate to come back to us!

Thank you.