Q. My dog licked some of my 1 year olds Karex toothpaste that contai

Dec 8, 2022

The toothpaste contains Xylitol. Will my dog be okay? Or do we need to go to the ER? My 1 year old barely had any on the toothbrush and had been brushing a bit before my dog licked it.

Create an account to access Dr. Deliman’s answer to this concern.

The vet's response to this question is only available to members of Dr.Tail Create a new account to access +100K cases in Dr.Tail.

  • 24/7 priority consultations
  • Analysis of the cause of the issue
  • Home treatments and care tips
  • Guidelines for vet visits
  • Vet experts matched to your needs
or continue with
Dr. Deliman

We appreciate you reaching out to us. It could be dangerous if she ingested xylitol. Xylitol acts like glucose in the body, but since it is not glucose, it can cause hypoglycemia, and hypoglycemia can cause shock. Pets that weigh about 10 pounds can develop symptoms with just one xylitol. The first aid you can do is provide her with sugar water. If you take her to the emergency room, the vet will correct his electrolytes with fluids to prevent her from falling into hypoglycemia.

If she shows symptoms, take her to the hospital right away.

Please do not hesitate to ask any further questions you may have. Thank you.