Q. My dog ate a rubber toy and is now swallowing a lot

Others
thumbnail
Parent648845
Thu, Sep 7, 2023

My dog ate a part of rubber toy and choked on it at first but then passed it down , he seems normal and is resting now but he does lick his lips a lot and seems like he also tries to swallow


Create an account to access Dr. Trigoso’s answer to this concern.

The vet's response to this question is only available to members of Dr.Tail Create a new account to access +100K cases in Dr.Tail.

  • 24/7 priority consultations
  • Analysis of the cause of the issue
  • Home treatments and care tips
  • Guidelines for vet visits
  • Vet experts matched to your needs
or continue with
vet-thumbnail
ONLINE
Dr. Trigoso
Veterinarian

It seems that your dog may be experiencing some discomfort and abnormal behavior after ingesting a part of a rubber toy.

When a dog ingests a foreign object like a rubber toy, there are several potential issues that can arise. The rubber material can cause irritation and inflammation in the throat, esophagus, stomach, or intestines. In some cases, the object may pass through the digestive system without causing any significant problems. However, there is also a risk that the object could become lodged in the gastrointestinal tract, leading to a partial or complete obstruction. This can be a serious medical emergency that requires immediate veterinary attention.

Ingesting foreign objects can be a serious concern. Taking him to the hospital is the safest thing to do.
But if you can't get him right away, please keep an eye on him. If your dog starts to show signs of distress such as persistent vomiting, abdominal pain, bloating, or difficulty breathing, it is crucial to seek veterinary care immediately.

If you have any additional questions, please don't hesitate to come back to us! Thank you