Fri, Jun 7, 2024

So my wife used a whole box of borax on the carpet and my cat rolled around on the carpet but I don't think he ingested any of it, he seemed dazed and his eye was twitchy so I put him in the cat carrier

Create an account to access Dr. Millden’s answer to this concern.

The vet's response to this question is only available to members of Dr.Tail Create a new account to access +100K cases in Dr.Tail.

  • 24/7 priority consultations
  • Analysis of the cause of the issue
  • Home treatments and care tips
  • Guidelines for vet visits
or continue with
Dr. Millden
Dr.Tail Vet

It sounds like your cat may have come into contact with borax, which can indeed be toxic if ingested or absorbed through the skin. The symptoms you’re observing, such as acting dazed and eye twitching, are concerning and could indicate borax toxicity.

If your cat tolerates it, consider giving them a bath using a mild cat shampoo. Make sure to rinse thoroughly to remove any residue, and be cautious to avoid getting water in their eyes, ears, and mouth.

Keep a close eye on your cat for any additional symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, excessive drooling, or lethargy. These could indicate more severe toxicity.

Please ensure your cat has access to fresh water to help flush out any ingested toxins. Offer him small amounts of water frequently

Given the symptoms you’ve described, it’s crucial to seek immediate veterinary attention. Borax poisoning can be serious, and a veterinarian can provide the necessary treatments, such as intravenous fluids and medications to counteract the toxin.

Please take your cat to the nearest veterinary clinic or emergency animal hospital as soon as possible. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask. Thank you.