Q. He ate a very small amount of chocolate idk how much but there looked to be a very small edge off of a corner

Others
thumbnail
Parent683426
Thu, Sep 21, 2023

Thought the chocolate wrapper was empty but it wasn’t there was a small piece left I think he licked and ate. Small amount of a corner of it
Should I induce vomiting using peroxide


Create an account to access Dr. Sena’s answer to this concern.

The vet's response to this question is only available to members of Dr.Tail Create a new account to access +100K cases in Dr.Tail.

  • 24/7 priority consultations
  • Analysis of the cause of the issue
  • Home treatments and care tips
  • Guidelines for vet visits
  • Vet experts matched to your needs
or continue with
vet-thumbnail
ONLINE
Dr. Sena
Veterinarian

Chocolate contains theobromine and caffeine, which can be toxic to dogs, especially in larger quantities. The severity of symptoms depends on the amount and type of chocolate consumed, as well as the size and overall health of your dog.

Ingesting chocolate can lead to various symptoms, including vomiting, diarrhea, increased thirst, restlessness, rapid breathing, elevated heart rate, muscle tremors, and even seizures. However, it's important to note that the severity of symptoms can vary widely among individual dogs.

Since you mentioned that your dog only consumed a very small amount of chocolate, inducing vomiting may not be necessary. Inducing vomiting is typically recommended within two hours of ingestion, but it should only be done under the guidance of a veterinarian. In some cases, inducing vomiting may not be safe or effective. If you do, make sure to use 3% or less hydrogen peroxide mixed with water.

Next, closely monitor your dog for any signs of distress or abnormal behavior. Keep an eye out for symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, increased thirst, restlessness, or any other unusual behavior. If any of these symptoms occur or worsen, it is essential to seek veterinary care immediately.

In the meantime, ensure your dog has access to fresh water to stay hydrated. Do not attempt to give any over-the-counter medications or home remedies, as they may not be safe or appropriate for your dog.

In conclusion, the safest thing to do is to get him to the ER as soon as possible. But if you can’t take him to the ER, to induce vomiting, use less than 3% hydrogen peroxide. The most important step is to get the chocolate out of your pet’s system before it is digested. However, this method may cause side effects of gastritis or esophagitis. This method is a method that can only be used within 2 hours of ingesting it.

If you have any additional questions, please don't hesitate to come back to us! Thank you.