Q. He ate a candy canes and I believe peppermint is poisonous

Dec 13, 2022

He ate a candy cane. Has no symptoms yet but everything im reading says peppermint is poisonous to dogs. What should I do?

Create an account to access Dr. Deliman’s answer to this concern.

The vet's response to this question is only available to members of Dr.Tail Create a new account to access +100K cases in Dr.Tail.

  • 24/7 priority consultations
  • Analysis of the cause of the issue
  • Home treatments and care tips
  • Guidelines for vet visits
  • Vet experts matched to your needs
or continue with
Dr. Deliman

Thank you for using our service. If your dog has ingested a candy cane, it is important to monitor your dog for any potential symptoms of poisoning. Peppermint is generally considered to be safe for dogs in small amounts, but excessive ingestion can cause stomach upset and gastrointestinal irritation. If your dog is showing symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, or loss of appetite, it may be necessary to take them to the animal hospital for further evaluation and treatment. In the meantime, you can try to induce vomiting by giving your dog 1-2 teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide diluted in water. However, it is important to consult with a veterinarian before attempting to induce vomiting, as this can be dangerous if done incorrectly.

If you have any additional questions, please don't hesitate to come back to us! Thank you.